1.09.2012

Theft of the Dial.

If you live in Minnesconsin, you're probably familiar with 89.3 The Current.
If you don't you can stream it live and hear what all the fuss is about.

I spend two hours a day in my car.
I listen to the current as though it were the Gospel.
I owe Frank Turner and Blitzen Trapper to the Current.
I'm sure I owe most of the music Chud introduced me to
to the Current.

I owe my sanity
to the Current.

In homage to my love of all things Public Radio,
I am going to host my very own
Theft of the Dial.
Dear Jill Riley, Mary Lucia, and Mark Wheat:
If you happen on my playlist,
I'd be honored to hear it on the radio.

To the rest of you:
Download these songs if they're not in your collection.
This is not a complete list of my favorite songs of all time,
but rather the anthem of the year that was 2011.
The songs I played over
and over
and over
again.

Turned up to eleven.

•Down in the Valley - The Head and The Heart
Landfill - Daughter
I Still Believe - Frank Turner
Sweet Disposition - The Temper Tramp
Dog Days Are Over - Florence+The Machine
Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes
LDN - Lily Allen
Make You Feel My Love - Adele
Holocene - Bon Iver
Love The Way You Walk Away -  Blitzen Trapper
The Girl You Lost to Cocaine - Sia
Portions for Foxes - Rilo Kiley
Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine Show
Big Time Sensuality - Bjork
Fake Empire -  The National
The Edge of Glory - Lady Gaga
Both Hands - Ani Difranco
Hallelujah - k.d. lang
Human - The Killers
Gimmie Sympathy - Metric
Starlight - Muse
Sunshine - Atmosphere

As an aside, here is a list of the albums I not only listened in their entirety,
but did so again and again and again.
If you don't own these albums, you should.

Adele - 21
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Daughter - His Young Heart EP
Florence+The Machine - Lungs
The Head and The Heart - The Head and The Heart
Metric - Fantasies
Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
The National - Boxer


Happy downloading, friends!

xoxo
A

5 comments:

  1. Road Trip Soundtrack.

    Goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read it before I finished posting!

    But yes. Agreed.

    Looks like we're headed to California after all.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I did!

    I came here in search of an Owl Party link, but became distracted by this post, and thoughts of a long stretch of road, sunshine, and wine bottles growing on vines.

    Mmmhmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, what the hell is an album? Is that the thing where they put the one good song and then a bunch of new crap nobody wants to hear?

    Also I noticed a peculiar lack of Waka Flocka Flame on this list. I'm sure it was just an oversight brought on by over-tiredness. Please fix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't get Bon Iver. Yeah, I get I'm supposed to love him. He's sensitive and local. But I have to change the channel 30 seconds into any song that comes on. I would love to hear what you love about him. Perhaps I will listen in a new light.
    The Killers have ended their hiatus and are coming out with a new album soon.
    Making fun of albums, Himbo, is like making fun of books.

    ReplyDelete