This quiz was so much fun to write, and to grade! I loved every single minute of it.
Two people managed to achieve the elusive Grammar Nirvana, and being the giver that I am, I feel they should both win. So, without further ado, congratulations are in order to Kristi Ryman who is the winner of the photo session with Athena Pelton Photography, and Faith, who is the winner of a hat (or, being that you are also a knitter, I'd be happy to upgrade you to an apron!) Both of you lovely ladies, email me at athenapelton (at) gmail (dot) com to claim your prizes!
And now, by popular demand, the answers:
1) ______ so kind for letting me use ______ unicorn bicycle.
a) Your, your
b) You're, your
2) I promise, ________ I am finally going to read James' first draft. Maybe.
3) I wish _____ house wasn't all the way over ______.
a) they're, there
b) their, there
c) there, there
d) they're, their
4) It's just ___ far away.
5) I've lost so much weight all my pants are _______. And I live in a land of make-believe.
c) still way too tight because I'm still jiggly and won't buy bigger pants. (I will accept this answer as well. Jerks.)
6) Which is correct?
a) For all intensive purposes.
b) For all intents and purposes.
c) For all in tents with porpoises.
7) My patience for insufferable Grammar usage lasted ________ 2.7 seconds.
a) less than
b) fewer than
c) less then
d) fewer then
8) Which is correct?
a) Lay, lady, lay.
b) Lie, lady, lie. (Bob Dylan has been released on probation after serving his sentence in Grammar Prison)
9) I _________ need to have more quizzes.
a) definitely (Tip: There is definitely no A in definitely.)
10) That lady I sit next to on the bus is so ______. In a good way. Sort of. Maybe.
b) weird (Tip: WE are all weird.)
11) The _____ my liberal vitriol has on my father in law's patience _______ my ability to keep a straight face.
a) affect, affects
b) effect, affects (Effect is to a noun (thing) what Affect is to a verb (action).)
c) effect, effects
d) affect, effects
12) The opposite of "on purpose" is:
a) by accident
b) on accident
13) _____ should we invite to the party?
b) Whom (Tip: If you can answer the question with 'him,' use whom. "We should invite him.")
14) It depends on _____ is going.
a) who (Tip: If you can answer with 'he,' use who. "He is going.")
15) We _____ going to read Himbokal's blog, but _____ too bored by its content to bother.
a) were, were
b) we're, were
c) were, we're
d) we're, we're
16) Which sentence is written in the second-person narrative?
a) If you think this quiz was fun, you're obviously delusional.
b) I think this quiz was fun, and am obviously delusional. (First Person)
c) DRL thought this quiz was fun, and is obviously delusional. (Third Person)
17) _____ cheat on this quiz?
a) May I
b) Can I
18) I'm so _________ that I didn't post this at exactly 7:30.
19) ______ you sure _______ answers are correct?
a) Are, you're
b) Our, your
c) Are, your
d) Our, you're
20) Which is correct?
a) I can run farther than you.
b) I can run further than you.
c) I cannot run at all. I hate exercise. Duh.
d) Both a and c (I will accept this, too, because, duh. I hate exercise.)
e) Both b and c
Correctly retype the title of this post. Test Your Grammar Knowledge!
Thank you, all of you, for playing along and taking the first ever Family Pelton Grammar Quiz. As a token of my appreciation I am going to give away another session with Athena Pelton Photography.
I have selected the winner from all who played using the random number generator at random.org.
The winner is:
Contact me at athenapelton (at) gmail (dot) com to claim your prize!