2.04.2011

Little Differences

In Minnesconsin,
when the mercury drops
below 32 degrees
we call it
"Winter."

Well,
wait a minute.
Let's be serious...

We call it
"Fall."

We wear coats.
Sweaters.
Mittens.

And,
if you're one of the lucky few,
you also put on a gorgeous
squishy hat
made by the fabulous
knitting goddess that is me.

In Austin,
When it gets below freezing,
the city goes into "Event Mode."

People stock up on groceries.
Water.
Fire wood.
Space heaters.
The city has rolling blackouts
to preserve electricity.

There's mention of snow.
Two inches of snow.
In Minnesconsin
land of the six month winter
two measly puny
teensy
tiny
inches of snow
doesn't even cause a 2 hour school delay.

Here,
In Texas,
the city is prepared
for a total
complete
official
shut down.

Good thing I have my hat.
My laptop.
A couple bottles of wine.
And a few extra pounds
to keep me warm.

The fountain featured in today's post
wasn't as lucky.

The neighbor kids sure thought it was neat.

Here's to hoping that those kids
get to see some snow tomorrow.

Because if you never did you should.
These things are fun and
fun is good.
                   ~Dr. Seuss


Cheers,
A

2 comments:

  1. the fountain reminds me of cake and therefore makes me hungry.
    I'm sure Texas is better than MN/WI at SOMETHING- but it ain't winter. Or summer. Or fall and spring. We win at seasons.
    Maybe you win at accents. The MN/WI is embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby came into Dallas last night, and
    brought some snow from WI with him. Hope it
    makes it all the way to Austin, so the kids
    can enjoy it down there too.

    ReplyDelete