5.05.2011

Macaroni Love Story: A Strip Quilt

I finally finished the Heather Ross Macaroni Love Story quilt.
I chose the binding fabric,
stitched it on
and c'est fini.

I am so happy with how
the quilt that took me one day to cut, piece, and sandwich
and three months to actually finish
turned out.
For the back,
I made some wonky blocks using scrap fabric
and some selvedge pieces.
I also threw in a couple strips to tie front and back together.
I kept the quilting to a minimum and did straight lines.
I stitched in the ditch of every strip and then 1/4" on either side of each seam.
I love the straight, unevenness of it.
 When I first started quilting this,
I was using a wavy stitch.
After I had about 16" finished, I realized I hated it.
So I cut the bottom of the quilt off,
and turned it into two doll quilts
for my two girls.

Waste not, want not.
I used different binding for each
so they could tell the blankets apart.
Elena's is on the left,
Stella's on the right.

Although it's difficult to tell in the photos,
I machine stitched the binding on this quilt.
It's the first time I've not hand-stitched the back of the binding
on a large quilt,
and it turned out rather well.

I have a few more quilting projects in the works.
I'm going to try my hand at a rag quilt,
and I'm going to make something using Aneela Hoey's Sherbet Pips line.
Which I was lucky enough to receive from my father
for my birthday.

(Thanks, Dad!)

Cheers,
A

PS: Happy Cinco de Mayo! May you have a very festive holiday-from-another-country-that-is-only-celebrated-in-America.  Also, happy birthday to my dear friend George, and a belated HB to Lance Throttle, and Angie!

2 comments:

  1. love love love !!! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quilting- good choice to go with the straight lines.

    ReplyDelete